Before closing your old account:
- Balance your checkbook. A clean break will save you headaches later
- Make sure ALL of your checks have cleared. It’s a good idea to keep a little money in your old account while making the transition to The Bank of New Glarus and Sugar River Banks, just in case.
- Update your direct deposit information, and keep your old account open until your regular deposits show up at The Bank of New Glarus and Sugar River Banks. Click here for the form you will complete to help you make the move:
Switch – Withdrawal
- Cancel any automatic payments made from your old account. The Bank of New Glarus and Sugar River Banks free On-line Bill Pay service will make the switch easier.
- Contact those businesses authorized to make automatic withdrawals from your old account and give them you new information. Click here for the form you will complete to make the change:
When closing your old account:
- Put it in writing. Close your account with a letter instead of a phone call, and be sure to include your address and phone number – especially if you’re changing neighborhoods as well as banks. Click here for the form you will use to close your old account:
Switch – Close Account
- Keep a copy of your letter along with any correspondence from your old bank – in your own financial records. You don’t want your heirs searching for long-lost (and long-gone) cash later.